Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Embroidering after I have un-beaded my latest quilt

I began this quilt as a challenge for last months Fast Friday Fabric Challenge. The full view of the almost done quilt is show on the Fast Friday Challenge blog. The guidelines for this challenge were to depict motion in a quilt, and use embellishment. I turned to my garden month to see what I could do with a withered rose.

Embellishment isn’t something that comes naturally for me. I admire some beaded quilts. If done well they can be effectively integrated into a composition. But what I have done here seems to be added on. The shininess of the beads is competing for attention with the rest of the quilt. Perhaps I could have made beads work for the center of the flower if the rest of the quilt had embellishment also.

So I have removed the beads and have started replacing them with French knots. The embroidery seems to add the necessary detail without being distracting.

1 comment:

Shanti said...

Hi Linda,
This looks beautiful ! What did you do your french knots with ? I just learned to do this yesterday and using 2 strands of floss and 3 turns on the needle, my knots look real small.

Shanti