Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Photographing Pins

This weeks photo exercise was a bunch of sewing pins and a magnetic pin holder.

I photographed them at different angles and with varied lighting. Adding a "Poster Edges" filter in Photoshop gave these designs more of a graphic quality. I think the filter takes it one step away from reality so the pattern is noticed more and the subject less.

Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Finding Patterns in Ordinary Objects

Picked up this book on impulse from the library a couple days ago. 

Just flipping through a few page inspired me to find my own patterns and look at ordinary objects in a new way. whole organization dedicated to pattern research. Plus it is a way for me to improve my photography skills. Here is the first in my series of pattern photographs. Can you tell what it is?

Friday, March 11, 2016

Completed Pieces for Fiber Shots

Here are the completed pieces I created for Fiber Shots at the San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles. Fiber Shots will be sold to benefit the museum for $100 each. It begins today in concordance with the Kaffe Fassett exhibit.
"Fruit Salad"; 10 x 10

Untitled; 10 x 10

Linking up to Nina Marie's Off the Wall Friday.

Monday, February 29, 2016

Quilt Facing Tutorial

It's time to face the two quilts which are ready to be quilted and finished. This is my variation on a method which is sometimes called the "pillowcase method". I will show the finished quilts in a few days.

Layer the quilt top on top of the batting and do enough quilting to hold the batting in place. For this quilt, I am doing some raw-edge applique at the sames time.
If the finished size is important, mark lines for the finished size on the front of the quilt. Trim a little more than a quarter of an inch away from the edge. I don't use a ruler or a straight edge since I am pretty good at guessing seam allowances, and I prefer the organic edge I get from freehand cutting.
You may want to mark the top of your quilt before this step. Lay the top face down on the backing (right sides together and put a single pin in the center. Beginning in the middle of the sides, scoot the edge of quilt front and batting toward the center an eighth to a quarter inch then pin. Repeat for each side, then do the same for the corners. The idea is that you want the backing to be a bit smaller than the front so the seam on the edge will roll to the back. Test to see if the backing has enough stretch to ease stitch the edge together without creating any creases in the front. take out some fullness if necessary and add more pins if you like.
Stretch the backing as you sew all the way around the edge with a quarter inch seam allowance. Be careful to keep the batting even with the front edge as you sew.
Trim the backing fabric, and cut the corners to remove bulk when the quilt is turned.
Cut a strip of fusible web an about an inch wide and a few inches shorter than the width of the quilt. Fuse it where the sleeve will be sewn on later. Make sure you know which way is up, and fuse it near the top edge. Pull the backing away from the quilt front and cut a slit in in it to make an opening for turning.
 I use a slightly blunt pencil as a turning tool. Place the tip of the pencil right at a point, and pull the backing fabric over the tip of the pencil. Repeat for each point. Then turn the whole quilt right side out. The pencil trick usually does a good job, but use a blunt needle to finish pulling out any points which don't look sharp enough.
Roll the seams to the inside while you press the edges. If you don't have paper on your fusible web, then avoid ironing over it until you have ironed the edge completely.
Everything should be looking pretty flat at this point. Remove the paper from the fusible web. Press the fabric above the slit to fuse it to the batting. Smooth out any wrinkles in the back and press the rest of the slit. If the edges of the slit don't line up perfect, it's not a problem since your hanging sleeve will be sewn over the top when you've finished quilting.

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Auditioning Backgrounds

I cut the subject out from the background on this piece. The light colors were blending too much with the background fabric.

Spent too long on creating a new background before I decided the medium values  are blending now. And the intricacy of the background is competing with the foreground.

I think I am like this simpler darker background much better.
See what everyone else is up to on Nina Marie's Off the Wall Friday

Saturday, February 13, 2016

The "Fruit Salad" saga continues

Still life chopped up into smaller pieces. I think I will keep the other piece I showed last week uncut, but add some similar style borders to make it look more finished.

Linking up to Nina Marie's Off the Wall Friday.

Saturday, February 6, 2016

Re-purposing Some Older Work

The San Jose Museum of Quilts & Textiles is asking for donations of 10 in squares fiber artwork to be sold to help with funding. The "Fiber Shot" sale will be held in conjunction with the Kaffe Fassett show beginning March 11th.

Thinking about what I could do to participate, I dug out some old design exercises which have been sitting in a box for 10 years. Two sets of identical shapes were cut freehand to make a still-life. The second set of shapes was re-arranged to create an abstract composition.
I've been uninspired to do anything with either of the pieces. The first still life was fun to make, but lacks any imagination and didn't hold my interest, so I made some sketches, and decided to cut it up and make "fruit salad". I cut it up before I could change my mind, so now I'm committed.
I plan to cut it into smaller irregular squares and mix it together with some greens and purples. The other piece may just get some borders added.