Thursday, July 2, 2009

Transforming a Rejected Succulent



Quite a while ago, I began a succulent for the SAQA Auction, and then set it aside as a reject.

I cut it into rough squares a couple months ago, with the intention of completing the Fast Friday Challenge which was supposed to be based on grids with an accent color. I picked out the fabric for the accent color, but then couldn't satisfy myself with the final arrangement, and it got set aside again.

This months Fast Friday challenge is to work with pattern or texture and triad color scheme. My rejected project was already the right colors.

I sewed the squares together at random, quilted, and then used orange and white paints to bring out the texture and add some dimension. Then I cut it apart again, and inserted orange veins.

This was a fun experiment. The current plan is to cut this into trading card size pieces to swap at my next CQFA meeting.