Sunday, July 26, 2009

Radial Symmetry

This month’s Fast Friday Challenge is to be based on radial symmetry and colors from nature. I didn’t have to stretch my mind at all to fit succulents into the radial theme, and colors from nature could mean anything.

Imperfect symmetry is more interesting to me than perfect kaleidoscope type symmetry. Nature is full of not quite perfect symmetry, and rather lacking in much that is perfect.

Radial symmetry makes me think of circles, so I began by painting some white fabric with circles. This will be an under-painting when the quilt is complete. Many of my green succulents have a bit of red or yellow in them.

I have traced some succulent shapes onto interfacing. I will place it behind the batting, and quilt the shapes from the back, and then add more paint.

When I am done, I plan to select a section which can be matted and framed, and turn the remainder into ATC’s.

3 comments:

Doreen K. said...

I just wanted to tell you, that I got to see your "One foot square" at the Long Beach quilt show. It is absolutely beautiful. I am so in awe of how you do all that stitching. So glad I got to see it in person. Love your blog.

Julie said...

i will be waiting to see all your finished projects! You are off to a great start!!! love you colors!

Vivien Zepf said...

I just joined FFFC when Cynthia made the call for new members. I'm so excited! I looked through the website and saw your succulents; they're lovely, of course. I had no idea they started off in this color range. No wonder the end result is so rich!