Friday, February 1, 2008

Fast Friday Self Portrait Challenge (or “I Began with Good Intentions”)

I considered not doing this months Fast Friday Portrait Challenge, because I’ve been busy with my online class with Pamela Allen. But I have been challenging myself to do each of the Friday challenges. And this one was challenging indeed, since I tend to shy away from portraiture.

Wednesday, I spent 20 minutes doing a sketch from my image in the bathroom mirror. My husband says “Who’s that supposed to be?” I suppose I need to spend more than 20 minutes every few years if I want to get better at sketching portraits.

Thursday, I traced from the portrait onto a piece of white cloth in pencil, and spent maybe an hour painting with Setacolor paints, with the intention of adding some color and depth to the picture. Purple and orange were chosen with the idea that they would visually blend into a skin tone.

The first attempt I watered the paints down to much, which made them bleed across the fabric more than I wanted. Let it dry and had a second attempt over the top of the first with less diluted paint and a dryer brush. More what I was trying to achieve. I got more definition, and a better distribution of color and tone.

Friday I spent about an hour doing some quilting on it. Nowhere near a masterpiece, and I don’t think I know the person I’ve created. But it was a fun experiment. No binding. I don’t think it well enough to finish it.

1 comment:

Jill Smith said...

I think its great and in that short time its great.
I would have run a mile as hate trying portraits, it must be good as google has sent your blog out to people as thats how l got it.
Have you ever wanted blonde hair as the drawing looked as if it was and they say things you would have liked come out in a drawing,
Jill