Saturday, January 26, 2013

Hibiscus Quilt

Here is the quilt I started back in November. This was a fun experiment to start with a couple of tiny scraps and build a quilt around them. I used free motion quilting to extend the design of the small bits of commercial fabric. Today I painted (mostly in the background.)

To make the painting relate to the piecing, I added some geometric shapes while I was painting. This discovered while I was working on my Whisper Quilt this summer.

I like parts of this quilt close-up better than I like it as a whole, but it was worth doing just to enjoy the process.


The SAQA Whisper Quilt challenge will be revealed at our regional meeting next Saturday in Elk Grove. I will post about it in a couple of weeks.

See what others have been up to this week on Nina Marie's Off the Wall Friday.

5 comments:

Judy Ferguson said...

This is really a beautiful quilt. Even if it is an experiment. Such wonderful color.

Katherine McNeese said...

this is quite lovely!

Nina Marie said...

the stitching adds a lot to this - I love the texture the echoing creates - I really need to try this on a piece some time. Very nice paint job on the background! gorgeous!

Randall said...

Hi Linda. Cool quilt. So how does the paint hold up if you have to wash it or is it only for decoration, like hanging on wall etc.

~Randall

Linda Cline said...

Thanks Randall. Acrylic paint will hold up to a light amount of washing, but most of the quilts I currently make are purely to hang on the wall like a painting. This particular one may end as part of a small tote bag someday. It certainly wouldn't be a bed quilt since it is only about 12 inches square.