Monday, January 28, 2008

Online Class – Week 2

I spent two days in Capitola this weekend at a retreat with my CQFA group. It was an enjoyable weekend away, and a chance to get to know the other in the group better.

I packed a small bit of my blues and greens which fit in the large suitcase (it’s hard to pack fabric when you don’t know what exactly will be made), so I could work on lesson 2 in my online class with Pamela Allen. The assignment this week is to do a quilt in a limited color palette (either complementary or analogous). This is the landscape that resulted.

I was attempting to put a plant in the foreground, but wasn’t sure what it would look like. I sketched some leaves from the silk plants at a restaurant that evening, and came back after dinner to make the leaves.

I have begun stitching on the tree.

It's a bit intimidating to begin a quilt without any idea where I might take it, although the hesitation mostly disappears after I have a few fabrics down. I've been enjoying doing the lessons and learning a lot from both the doing and seeing what others are doing.

Pamela commented about landscape being usually oriented in a horizontal format. I didn't think about this landscape being vertical. I seem to have a strong preference for vertical formats, and have made the conscious decision to make vertical landscapes in the past. I think maybe if I had made the same thing horizontally, it would give more importance to the land and the water and give less important to the tree. Which gave me a "what if" thought:

It’s fun to play with things on the computer sometimes to try out ideas.

1 comment:

Vivien Zepf said...

I'd love to see this piece completed. Have you had a chance to finish it?