Friday, December 7, 2007

Saturn Returns Exhibit & Other Things

Today I went to San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles to see their 30th anniversary exhibit. Well worth seeing if you are in the Bay Area. They’ve brought together an impressive exhibit of many contemporary textile artists. Many artists I’m familiar with, and it was wonderful to see their work up close in person. And many artists I wasn’t familiar with, and their work was wonderful also. The exhibit contained weaving and other textile work in addition to quilts. Pictures weren’t allowed, but they had a full color catalog which I failed to purchase.

I have a small six inch or so quilt made about a year ago which I am hoping will be juried into a show of small quilts. So while I was in San Jose, I went to University Art to purchase a frame for it. Spent way more than I intended to. Perhaps I should make quilts that I think might get framed rectangular so they will fit into standard pre-made frames. Assembling the frame will be a project for this weekend.

I had time in the afternoon and evening to make a block for a traditional album quilt. It’s in a color scheme that I probably wouldn’t have picked, but I think the recipient will like it.

No comments: