Monday, December 31, 2007

Ice Challenge

For this months Fast Friday Challenge, we are supposed to create an abstract based on “fire” or “ice”. It was suggested that we write down all of the words that we associate with our chosen subject and then create whatever image we have imagined.

The words I wrote for ice:
cold
hard
smooth
sharp
jagged
rough
crunchy
transparent
iridescent
white
blue

I thought I would include organza to give a layered look, and used a stencil with blue and white acrylic fabric paint to add some texture to it. While I was at it, I added white paint to some bluish green cheesecloth.

I piece the background in gentle curves, layered the organza and cheesecloth over the top, and anchored everything down with some free-motion quilting.

I like the layered textures that I have ended up with, but something is missing. This could be a great background for something else.

1 comment:

Terri Stegmiller said...

Lovely. The colors are perfect for your theme. I've recently found your blog and really like the work you do. Happy New Year.