Saturday, August 8, 2009

Back to School Sewing

Camilla goes back to school in two weeks. We’ve done some back to school shopping, and I’ve been making a dent in my fabric stash while creating some back to school skirts.

I was thinking I would make a tiered skirt out of this stripe fabric, but Camilla wanted something different, since I had made a lot of those for her in the past. I sketched out some options, and she picked out which one she liked. She says the skirt is “super cool.” I wonder if I will still hear this about home sewn clothes in a few years when I have a teenager.

There wasn’t quite enough of this green plaid to make a skirt the length she wanted, so I did a little more digging in the stash. I’m glad I didn’t have a larger piece of the main fabric, or I probably wouldn’t have added the contrasting trim at the hem. I like it better this way.

I have a half-made skirt for myself out of blue chambray. It has been tucked away for a year, because I got bored with it being so plain. Maybe I will give it a contrasting hem like this one.

I’m going back to school next week also. I will be teaching again part time in the Office Skills Computer Lab at the junior college. I’ve also decided to take a couple of classes. I will be taking C++ computer programming and Photoshop. It probably won’t leave me a lot of time for sewing or artwork, but I will probably manage to make a little time for some creativity too.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Camilla is so lucky to have you for her Mom! These are really beautiful and one of a kind...one day she will appreciate that even more than she already does!!! This is reminding me I need to take my daughter shopping for school clothes as well. Enjoy your last two weeks with her!!!