Saturday, February 7, 2009

This Month’s Fast Friday Getting Slowly Done

I’m getting a late start on this month’s Fast Friday quilt. I almost decided I would skip the challenge for a month. But then decided to spend just a couple of hours and make a quick fabric sketch with freehand cut fabrics, which led to hand stitching with embroidery floss. Half way through the stitching, I decided to make some changes in my fabric choices. So now, several hours into the project, I’m not halfway done. It will be getting done, but not on the schedule I had originally planned.

For this month’s challenge, we are to put some Rhythm/Movement or Tension/Energy into our piece and use an analogous color scheme. The plan is to finish hand stitching around each fabric piece, and then do free-motion machine quilting in the background. The piece is loosely based on a succulent photo I took in my garden last month. I believe these are echeveria.

5 comments:

Julie said...

OMG, Linda...this is beautiful!!! You are something else in your abilities to create such gorgeousness!!!!!!!!!

ChrisC said...

It sounds like you are really enjoying the creative process with this piece. The colors are wonderful.

Cynthia Ann Morgan said...

Gorgeous piece (as always!)...I like how you took a wide run of analogous colors from violet to yellow-orange...it really highlights the movement and tension having that purple in there.

Roberta Ranney said...

Hi Linda - Thanks for posting about your FFFC work on your blog - I am anxious to see the completed work. It is already another beauty. The colors knock me out!

Carole said...

Linda, this is fabulous... what an inspiration and a gorgeous series!
I am glad you invited us to look at your w.i.p..... and isn't the hand stitching something else. I really like it... the effect and the hand. However, it isn't for everything....your others have benefited from the machine stitching.
I honestly can't wait to see it finished.
Carole