Friday, October 3, 2008

Sea Glass III

My Fast Friday Group has chosen to focus on composition and color, instead of picking a theme or topic each month, and is encouraging us to work in a series as we complete our monthly challenges.

I have decided to continue my Sea Glass series which I began a couple of months ago. I don’t know if there are a dozen in me, but I will wait and see where it takes me. I have also been thinking about doing a series based on the succulent plants in my garden. Maybe I will work on two series, and pick which one fits the challenge better each month.

This month our challenge was to work in a complementary color scheme with a vertical, horizontal or diagonal format.

Sea Glass III (9½ x 13) uses green and red as complementary colors. Green is one of the more common colors of sea glass (consider what colors beer and wine bottles commonly come in). Red is one of the least common. I’ve taken some artistic license and included some light pink. I’m guessing pink is more rare than red sea glass in the real world.

My original idea for a diagonal composition wasn’t working the way I had intended, and so I played with shapes until this spiral emerged. Does the small curve at the bottom help make this a diagonal composition? Perhaps this would qualify more as a circular composition.

4 comments:

Vicki W said...

I love your sea glas series!

Sunny said...

Smashing, simply smashing.

Vivien Zepf said...

This is great! The simple sea glass shapes juxtaposed with the wonderful quilting on the white is terrific! A very successful piece.

Capescrapper said...

Saw this on Pinterest, Gorgeous work!