Friday, June 13, 2008

Knitting Socks

I taught myself how to knit socks a couple of years ago. The pastel colored pair is my first attempt at socks. I did a sample to check my gauge, and thought I was altering the pattern to the correct size, but the socks ended up way to big around.

The red striped pair is my second pair of socks, which I just finished today (I think I started them last summer. They fit great. I used less stitches per round, and added ribbing to the top of the foot. I will have to wait for cooler weather before I wear them.

My third attempt at socks will be to re-knit the yarn that just reclaimed from the first pair. It is now in skeins waiting to be washed and wound into balls. I love the colors in this yarn, and am looking forward to having a pair of socks that actually fits from it.

Sock knitting is the perfect take-along project for waiting at swimming lessons or long car trips. A pair of socks takes me months, because I only knit at odd moments. If I work fast, perhaps I will have them completed by fall or winter.

No comments: