Monday, October 4, 2010

Fashioning and Re-Fashioning Clothes

I’ve been working on clothes for a couple of weeks. I made a pioneer dress (McCalls 9424) a couple of years ago for a parade. It was still quite functional, but so old fashioned and costumey looking, that it hasn’t been worn since. I made a couple of attempts at restyling it until I came up with the final skirt. It’s just above knee level now. It looks good on her. I think it won’t be taking up space in her closet anymore.


I also got talked into sewing another dress for my daughter. We picked out McCall’s 6159. We found some plaid fabric in the closet which I forgot I had, and then Camilla found some gingham which she wanted for the collar and facings. And it’s a good thing she insisted on the contrast fabric, as I wouldn’t have had quite enough fabric otherwise.

This is a quick fabric postcard this morning. I used some scraps from the current dress for the background, and pre-fused scraps for the appliqué. It was fun to make.

2 comments:

Julie said...

How great you could fashion it into a cute skirt for Camilla!!! The shirt is so neat too, with the contrasting collar! Love it! The postcard is stunning! I think I would like to do small applique items like this...one day I will try it!!!

Judy Warner said...

Love the postcard too. And a great transition for that dress. Tell your daughter I love the contrasting collar.